List of Bong Parts, Accessories and Their Names
There are only a few bong parts that need to be labeled and defined, but that does not mean that bong owners should not be aware of their various functions. Even a regular smoker has to know the parts of a bong before figuring out how to use it. Not only is it essential to be familiar with the bong components, it is also important that one know the various types of bongs and bong accessories too. It is time to be aware of these various terms and functions.
Bong Or Water Pipe?
A bong is a popular device used to smoke a variety of herbal substances. Its fame continues to rise in street slang as it invades the public consciousness. Bongs can also be associated with names such as “binger,” “billy,” or “bing.” However, the most precise word that suits it as counterpart is the word, water pipe (or water bongs to others). Then again, since some smokers have already incorporated it into their lifestyles, bong names have even been invented and even used as “secret codes” on the streets.
Historically, the word bong rooted from a Thai word known as “baung”. It is descriptively linked to a round-shaped tube made out of bamboo. This classic name gave birth to the contemporary cylindrical pipe known as “bong”. Although there are still bongs made out of wood, a huge number of bong components are now made out of glass or plastic. Based on some historical discoveries, bongs were already used in countries located in Africa and Asia and were called water pipes before they were even referred to by their name today – bong.
Nowadays, most of the new entrants to the smoking culture who use bongs are familiar with the bong accessories, but do not bat an eye on the parts of a bong. They might try to figure out how bongs work by themselves but it might be much better to become familiar with the parts. That doesn’t mean learning to scrutinize bong accessories will not help in the future either.
Bong Parts Labeled and Revealed
The parts of a bong are easy to remember. Bong parts names can be dissected in several pieces:
- Base – without the base, the bong cannot hold itself. It is the bottom part of a bong. It consists of a variety of shapes and sizes, depending on the style of the bong.
One type of base is known as the “Creative”. It has a round base and is considered as revolutionary. It is less popular than the other types, but there are still smokers who prefer this base. Another base is the “Beaker” type. In contrast with the Creative base, the Beaker bong bases are the mainstream structure. The Beaker has a large, triangular-shaped base that connects to the narrow stem of the bong. Thanks to its shape, the smoke it creates is less thick and is typically more voluminous. For a simpler, more classic base, the “Straight Tube” is also available. From its name, it has a straight form from its stem down to its base. This is in contrast to the beaker type which has a wide base. Since the Straight Tube has a slim base, it can only hold small volume, producing smoke that is denser.
- Bowl – the bong bowl is the part where the substance to be smoke is placed. The bong bowl is measured by diameter and comes in different sizes, mainly 10mm, 14mm and 19mm. These three common digits can also be referred to as small, medium and large sizes. Other times, there are bong bowl sellers onlineas well as in stores who can customize the size of the bowl. Most of the time, the bong bowl and stem can have the same function. To free the smoke from the bong, the bong bowl and stem must be removed—most of the time these two itemsare detachable from one another—to allow the smoke to be released. Often, the metal bong bowl is also used for its heat-resistant qualities in order for the substance to burn.
- Carb – its name is spelled carburetor. It is a small hole which helps the bong user release smoke from the tube. In countries such as Australia, this is more commonly referred to as a “shotgun hole.”
- Downstem – another name which is used interchangeably for this is Diffuser. It is the small tube that connects the bong bowl to the water base. The bong downstem plays a transfusion role in the process. The smoke that runs from the bowl is percolated through the water by the help of the bong diffuser. If the bong diffuser is removed, the process of percolation will be interrupted.
There are two common bong downstems that are frequently used: The Diffused Downstem and the Direct-Inject. The Diffused Downstem is a revamped model of the traditional diffuser. It comprises smaller holes on its end, unlike the conventional type that only has one. Due to this design, it alleviates the transition of the smoke, making it smoother, cooler, and denser. Another contemporary bong diffuser is the Direct-Inject type. Oddly enough, it does not consist of any tube that dips into the water. Instead, it is attached directly to the chamber to percolate.
- Tube – it is where smoke is housed once vaporization takes place. The smoke crawls into this part of the bong after it has percolated from the water. The top portion of the tube is known as the mouthpiece. Depending on the model, the bong mouthpieces differ, but there are often three choices of designs to choose from.
These three choices include the “Classic” which can be described as a straight, cylindrical tube. It boasts its origin from historical cylindrical tubes used in past decades. But innovation has helped it by refreshing its design. The “Angled” tube has its mouthpiece inclined and bowed. It is actually a refurbished look based on the classic type. If these styles are not enough, customization is always an option for very creative artistic expression.
- Percolator – this is a bong part or bong attachment, depending on the model, that is considered to be one of the show stars. The bong percolator, or simply “perc”, heightens the filtration method. It is the compact device found inside the chamber of the bong. It works on the process of diffusion, which scatters the range of smoke by transforming it into tiny bubbles. The water cools and smoothens the bubbles for a more gratifying hit of the substance. The tiny holes found in the percolators will elevate the drag of the smoke, but too many of these holes can increase filtration and decrease the drag.
Be Aware of the Bong Parts
Getting to know these labeled bong parts will give the bong owner a head-start on the functions of each portion. It will be helpful to stay informed about the different bong parts when considering bongs online or in a physical store. There are also tons of bong attachments to choose from! Although experimenting on different bong accessories is not the worst idea, understanding what to buy can help the buyer save time in order to get the right products for the prices.
The labeled bong parts serve as an information sheet and a guide for those who already own a bong and for those who are interested in trying it. The right product still depends on the owner’s preferences, including the many replacement parts, attachments or accessories to use.
The bong is a smoking device growing in popularity. It is important that you understand all of the bong parts and accessories in order to use one properly.
Bong Parts, Pieces & Accessories
As smokers, we naturally form a strong bond with our treasured pieces. At Toker Supply, our online headshop understands that favoring a particular piece is part of being an avid smoker. So, breaking part of your favorite piece can be devastating. Why throw the entire glass water pipe or dab rig away, when replacing a part is cheaper, and lets you keep your piece?
Spare Glass Bowls
When your bong’s glass bowl breaks, it may seem like it’s time to purchase a new piece. And, while buying a new bong is certainly an option, you can also replace this part with a new bowl. Using a new glass bowl for your piece is simple! Simply remove the old piece and place the new piece inside the downstem, and insert the new one.
Spare glass bowls can also be useful even without a broken bowl. Purchasing a larger glass bowl for your bong is a great choice for group smoking sessions with many participants. Small glass bowls, on the other hand, are ideal for solo smoking sessions. Having several glass bowls is ideal for regular smokers.
We have a wide variety of glass bowls, with many sizes and colors to choose from!
When your bong’s downstem breaks, it’s important to find a durable replacement piece. Our downstems are constructed with sturdy glass, and are built to last.
Downstems are one of the most important parts of a bong. This piece connects the bowl, which contains the dry herb, with the tube or body of the bong. When the bong water is at an optimal level, the downstem will submerged in water. Downstems come in various sizes, so be sure to purchase the proper one for your piece!
To get the most out of your wax and dab rig, you need a high-quality glass dome. Without a glass dome for your dab rig, the smoke could dissipate altogether.
The first step of the dabbing process is to heat the nail with a torch, until it becomes visibly hot. Then, smokers place the glass dome over the dab nail. This step keeps the temperature at a manageable level, without treading into dangerous territory. THen, smokers use the dabber to apply the concentrate inside the nail. The glass dome plays a major part in guiding the smoke to the end of the joint. A worn or broken glass dome will allow the smoke to escape, wasting your precious concentrates.
Dab Rig & Bong Dropdowns
By design, all bongs and dab rigs have joints that are a certain size. The most common sizes are 10, 14, and 18 mm. The same sizes are used for accessories, including ash catchers, bowls, and more. Keeping these sizes consistent ensures that new parts are compatible with these pieces, and also maximizes the flow of the smoke. Dab rig and bong dropdowns are a way for smokers to convert the piece to a different size. For example, a drop down could convert a 10 mm joint to 14 mm, allowing smokers to use a larger bowl. The dropdown can also convert dab rigs and bongs to a different “gender”.
Dropdowns also minimize the heat stress caused during the dabbing process, especially with the high potential for stress when using a torch.
Like dropdowns, glass adapters are compatible with glass pipes and water pipes.
When a particular bowl, dropdown, or other glass accessory is incompatible with your piece, the glass adapter will bridge the gap. This piece fits into the bowl of the piece, allowing the smoker to attach the other accessory or bowl to it, even if the sizes are different. Glass adapters also give smokers an easy way to convert to use male bowls on male pipes.
While smoking a glass water pipe, there is a high chance that debris could land in the chamber of the piece.
Ash catchers eliminate the constant need to clean a dirty bong by keeping the bong clean. The ash catcher prevents ash, resin, and other debris from entering the bong. Ash catchers also contain percolators, which provide additional filtration for smokers.
Before purchasing an accessory for your glass piece, there are a few considerations to make. Be sure that you take note of these factors before making a purchase.
- Joint size
We carry an extensive supply of spare bong and dab rig parts for pieces with broken parts, or those looking for an update.
Our Online Smoke Shop offers a wide variety of bong accessories, bong parts, water pipe attachments and glass pipe accessories to fix or upgrade your pipe!