What is a steamroller pipe and how to use one
One of the oldest and most common ways to smoke weed is by using a pipe. Cannabis pipes have been around for ages and can be made from a variety of different materials including glass, metal, bamboo, wood, and stone. Pipes are usually separated by carb or non-carb, and water required or dry categories and for the most part, all function on the same principals when they are used. A marijuana steamroller is a uniquely designed and are just one type of pipe design.
What is a steamroller pipe?
A steamroller pipe is usually made of glass and is a carb equipped dry pipe. The reason it is different is mostly in where the carb is placed. In a traditional pipe, the carb will be located on the side of the bowl and controls the flow of air into the chamber. A marijuana steamroller’s carb is at the very end of the pipe which allows for a consistent resistant free flow of air.
How to hit a steamroller
The mechanic behind using a glass steamroller pipe is similar to that of any other pipe. The most significant difference will be that the hit will go directly into your lungs making it more difficult to inhale as much as you might normally from a different design. Pack the bowl as usual and hold the steamroller with one finger covering the open end closest to the bowl. If this is your first time using a glass steamroller pipe then cornering the bowl is recommended as it will burn less herb and give you a chance to adjust to the differences more comfortably. Place a flame toward the edge of the bowl and inhale slowly, removing your finger from the carb before you are done to empty the chamber.
The pros and cons of using a marijuana steamroller
A glass steamroller pipe comes with both benefits and drawbacks depending on individual preference.
1. Conserves weed – Since the smoke produced by a marijuana steamroller is so direct, you won’t need to smoke nearly as much to get high.
2. No water required – Use on the go with absolutely no need to carry or find water as it functions completely dry.
3. Easy to clean – Since a steamroller pipe is essentially a tube that has two complete openings with a bit of effort and a few Q-tips a full cleaning can be done within minutes. The glass material also allows you the ability to use any cleaner of your choosing since it won’t absorb or be damaged by any regular pipe cleaner.
4. Preserves flavor – Glass is one of the best materials for preserving the full flavor of the terpenes present in a strain of cannabis. As long as it’s keptin a clean condition, you will get a good clean haul every time with no metallic aftertaste.
5. Massive hits – A marijuana steamroller is designed specifically for its ability to produce large clouds of smoke that are delivered in the most direct and intense way possible. This makes it easy to take tokes that are 2-3 times larger than most regular pipes.
1. Harsh hit – Since you achieve a more direct hit when using a marijuana steamroller, you will also experience a much harsherhit. There is nothing cooling the smoke down as it travels through the chamber and the large amount you can inhale off of just one toke can be a bit overwhelming for first-timeusers.
2. Breakable – A glass steamroller pipe is preferred over any other material however it does come with the downside of being breakable. While it is designed to be used on the go, it needs to be stored carefully during any type of transit, or it could break, and it doesn’t take much more than a small drop to shatter one completely.
3. Expensive – A steamroller seems like a pretty basic design, but its lack of popularity until recently can make them difficult to come by and a bit more expensive than your average pipe when you do see one. The frequency in which they break also adds to the overall expected cost of choosing a marijuana steamroller as your everyday smoking device.Most pipes function on the same principals when they are used. A marijuana steamroller is a uniquely designed and are just one type of pipe design.
How to Use a Steamroller Pipe the Right Way
Do you scratch your head whenever you see a cool steamroller pipe like the Glowfly Glass Retro Steamroller Pipe and ask yourself: how does this thing work? Or have you used a steamroller and get a massive coughing fit with each hit that you get? We’ll talk you through how to use a steamroller pipe the right way to enjoy that punch-in-the-face hit without getting overwhelmed with hot smoke.
Parts of a steamroller
The Pulsar Boro Glass Kazoo Steamroller Pipe has a deep, big bowl sitting on top of the pipe.
First, let’s talk about your steamroller. All steamrollers have these parts: carb hole, bowl, chamber, and mouthpiece. The carb hole helps you regulate airflow to make it easy for you to clear smoke from the steamroller’s chamber. You plug the carb cap to help you gather smoke inside the glass steamroller, then release it to draw out smoke.
The next most important part is the bowl. Depending on the design of your steamroller, the bowl can be located on the top, or shaped within the chamber for a simpler design. This is where you place your herb for smoking. See that hole in the bottom? That’s the part where the smoke goes down from the bowl. Now, have a look at that hole. How big is it? It is small or is it big? The size is important because this will tell you how you should grind your herbs, and the amount scoobie snacks you’re going to get from your glass pipe.
Small holed bowls can take medium-fine ground herbs. For large holes, you need a medium-coarse or rough grind to keep the herbs and ash from falling. You can plug the hole with a small piece of nug, or use pipe screens to keep the ash from falling inside the chamber.
How to use a glass steamroller pipe
- Prepare your herbs by grinding them to an appropriate size.
- If needed, prepare the bowl with a plug a pipe screen. Make sure that the plug is not inserted too tightly inside the hole. For pipe screens, there should be a little bit of space from the hole to keep the airflow.
- Pack the bowl with enough herbs to reach beneath the rim of the bowl. Use the pads of your fingers to gently press down on the herbs to keep it from falling out.
- Hold the steamroller with your fingers positioned at the opposite sides of the chamber between the mouthpiece and the bowl. Ideally, your thumb should be behind the bowl, and your pointing finger should have access to the carb hold.
- Place the mouthpiece to your lips while keeping the plug on the carb hole.
- Take a slow draw as you light the herb, keeping that smooth draw going.
- Once you have enough smoke inside the chamber, release the carb hole and draw the smoke into your lungs.
- Keep the smoke in for 1-3 seconds before you exhale.
Using a steamroller can be difficult to use at first if you started out using a bong because you’re used to water filtration as well as long, hard pulls. A steamroller is different. Notice that the bowl is considerably close to the mouthpiece. This means that there’s not enough room to cool down the smoke before it reaches your lips. It really feels like getting hit by a steamroller engine if you hit the pipe wrong.
Not for first time smokers
If this is your first time to smoke, we don’t recommend starting out with a steamroller. It got its name for a reason, and you’ll be searing off smoking if you hit this one first. It’s best to begin your smoking journey with a bong or a spoon to get you started with proper smoking techniques. Once you’re comfortable hitting a dry pipe or water pipe, that is when you should consider hitting a steamroller.
Now you know the secret to using a steamroller. Slow and steady is the way to go at first until you get the feel of the pipe. This pipe is small but needs respect for proper use for a satisfying session. If you feel that hitting a pipe is no longer working out for we highly recommend that you buy a steamroller now.Steamrollers hit hard and can be overwhelming. Know the proper way of how to use a steamroller pipe to get the best smoking sesh. ]]>