HEMP CANDLE WICKS
We have chosen to use 100% Organic Hemp twine, that’s coated in Vegetable wax and 30% Beeswax for your candle wicks. Absolutely no toxic Paraffin. They produce a hotter burning wick with little to no smoke. Your candle will last longer and the burning experience will be more pleasant.
HERE ARE A FEW VESSEL WICKING TIPS TO HELP MAKE YOUR CANDLE POURING PROCESS MORE ENJOYABLE!
- By measuring the WIDEST opening diameter of your candle holder you can determine the appropriate wick size. Remember any candle holder over 3″ in diameter can accommodate multiple wicks.
- Using multiple wicks is used to achieve a full melt pool and to keep your candle wax from tunneling. Their aesthetically pleasing look is also a good reason!
- Remove the sticky tab and always space them evenly apart from each other and the sides of the candle holder.
- Wick mushrooming is common in 100% natural hemp wicks. It’s part of the beauty of a homemade candle! Simply trim each wick to 1/4″ before each use.
- It’s important to have straight wicks. You can do this by smoothing out your wicks with your fingers, using popsicle sticks, skewers or butter knives to hold your wicks in place.
CANDLE WICKS THAT ARE BETTER FOR YOU AND BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT! Lead Free, Zinc, Pareffin Free. They produce a hotter burning wick with little to no smoke. Your candle will last longer and the burning experience will be more pleasant. FREE SHIPPING $59 OR MORE
How to Make Candles with Hemp Wick
DIY with a Conscience
Candles are great: they make your home smell nice and can instantly create a cozy ambiance whenever they are lit. Unfortunately, some candles are made with unknown ingredients that give off harmful fumes as they burn, ruining any semblance of comfort that candles might provide. To avoid this, you can keep an eye out for naturally made candles that use soy or beeswax as a medium…but why stop there? Why not make your own candles, using safe ingredients that are completely customized to your tastes?
It may initially seem daunting, but candle-making is a surprisingly simple and rewarding process. Pick your favorite scent, color, and a container that matches your lifestyle.
Did you know that you can make candles that improve your mindset? Add lavender essential oil for relaxation, clary sage to clarify, or eucalyptus to center. Candle-making is a creative craft that results in a usable product, even a fun activity to do with friends or family and to give away as gifts or party favors.
Let’s get started!
Benefits of Using Hemp Wick for Candle-Making
Organic / Convenient / Purifying
So let’s say you have found the perfect wax for your candles and you think you’re ready to start, but wait, you forgot the wick – the part you actually light and burn! Here’s the thing, most people don’t give much thought about the wick, but that’s a mistake. Most wicks are made cheaply and with unknown materials. so you shouldn’t just choose any wick!
Luckily, you don’t need to settle for these generic wicks anymore. We have hand-crafted a different kind of wick from natural and organic materials to provide you with an option that you can rely on to keep the fire burning. So before choosing your next wick, consider this:
- Stay organic: Our hemp wick (try a free sample here!) is non-GMO, contains no toxic chemicals, no acids, no pesticides, no PVC, no BPA, no formaldehyde, no dioxin, and no heavy metals. You’ll be using 100% organic hemp twine, worry-free.
- Light naturally: Our hemp wick comes coated in an even layer of natural beeswax and can be used immediately as your candlewick. You won’t have to worry about coating it yourself or using generic wicks made from unknown materials.
- No flare-ups: The even layer of beeswax ensures that the flame will burn uniformly and melt your candle wax in smooth, even layers.
- Free your imagination with different candles: Our standard size hemp wick would work great for making small candles or tea lights, but our thick size is the most efficient for candle-making. The thick hemp wick provides a larger flame that burns slower – sure to work with a variety of candle sizes and proven to make your candles last longer.
- No-fuss wick placement: The rigidity of hemp wick ensures that it will stay straight and make it easy to attach to whatever candle tab/holder you use to anchor your wick.
- Breathe naturally: Burning beeswax actually cleans your surroundings by producing negative ions which help remove pollution from the air. This is a helpful bonus for those who struggle with asthma or respiratory issues.
So… are you ready to make your own candles? Keep reading to see how you can make simple candles with basic ingredients!
How-To Make Natural Beeswax Candles
What You Need:
- Thick Organic Hemp Wick Glass jar or container (2 – 3” wide work well)
- Candlewick sustainer tabs
- Natural or Pure Beeswax (feel free to use soy wax if you prefer)
- Double boiler (I used a saucepan and a heatproof glass bowl)
- Essential oils (optional)
- Tools : scissors, pliers, pencil or stick, wooden dowel (to stir)
1. Cut hemp wick to correct length : Rule of thumb is to give yourself around 5” longer than the container that you’re using (more on this below).
2. Attach hemp wick to wick tabs:
Thread your wick through the opening in the tab and pinch top closed with pliers. This will help you to stick your wick to the bottom of your container.
3. Assemble your double boiler:
If you don’t have one, that’s fine! I used a saucepan and bowl, filled the saucepan halfway with water, and placed the bowl on top. Make sure your bowl is resting on the rim of the pan and not touching the water.
4. Set to medium heat: Put double boiler on the stovetop and turn onto medium heat.
5. Add wax to the pot:
Your wax will start to melt as the water boils underneath it. Stir the wax with a wooden dowel and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. Add essential oils to wax as it melts, stirring them in. I used rose absolute, which worked well with the honey scent that beeswax has naturally. The amount you use depends on your own preferences!
6. Place hemp wick in the container:
To prevent the wick from moving while pouring the wax into the container, dip the wick tab that is attached to your hemp wick into the melted wax. Get a little wax on the bottom and then immediately place the “waxed” tab on the bottom center of your container, pressing it down. It will harden and hold it in place.
7. Center hemp wick:
After the tab is attached, wrap the hemp wick that extends beyond your container around a stick or pencil and rest it on the rim of your container. This will ensure that your wick stands straight up and centered in your candle.
8. Let the wax melt:
Once the wax is completely melted, turn your heat off and let the wax cool slightly.
9. Pour wax:
Pour the wax into your container, make sure to leave a little space at the top.
10. Let cool for 24 hours: Let your candle cool and harden completely. I let mine rest overnight.
11. Cut hemp wick:
Cut your wick to size – 0.5 to 1” beyond wax top is best.
12. Burn and enjoy!
You’ve just made your own awesome candle!
What candle creations have you made? Tag us in your photos on Instagram @TwistedBeeHempWick so we can check it out!
DIY with a Conscience Candles are great: they make your home smell nice and can instantly create a cozy ambiance whenever they are lit. Unfortunately, some candles are made with unknown ingredients that give off harmful fumes as they burn, ruining any semblance of comfort that candles might provide. To avoid this, you